Ascend, we seek ESL kindergarten teachers who are passionate about
learning - who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and
immersing themselves in the content they're about to teach. We value
teachers who truly listen to what students are saying - who create a
space for students to think their way through to answers, and who
praise their insights and curiosities along the way. Ascend teachers
share a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication
We look for educators who are excited about our liberal arts
program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serving all
students in truly public schools. Above all, we look for educators who
are deeply committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of
closing the achievement gap for children in Central Brooklyn.
Why teach at Ascend Public Charter Schools?
Ascend is a Brooklyn-based network of K-12 public charter schools
serving 4,000 students across nine schools. At Ascend, our mission is
to provide an extraordinary education for the children of Central
Brooklyn, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and
We are passionate about guiding our students to think critically
and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach
a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students'
natural curiosity about the world, and we foster a school culture based
in the Responsive Classroom model where students feel connected,
empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Watch Ascend in action.
To create the kind of vibrant learning environments we want for
our students, we invest heavily in our faculty, providing ongoing
professional learning for all of our educators, who collaborate closely
and push each other to achieve great outcomes for our students, their
families, and the communities we serve.
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible
accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are
housed in beautiful, newly renovated buildings where every detail is
chosen to communicate our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
See where we work.
The elementary school ESL teacher will develop and teach engaging
lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum
and administer annual English language assessments to students who are
part of the ESL program. Additionally, the elementary school ESL
* Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
* Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
* Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
* Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative
planning, and professional development, including an annual summer
* Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
The elementary school ESL teacher reports to the school director.
He or she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the
director of student services.
* Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
* The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
* Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
* Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
* Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
* Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
* Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community,
both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture
and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are
valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students.
Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic,
gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the
entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all
applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply
Ascend Learning offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/4mjb693zs5npf37k