Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
Lubie Grujicic-Alatriste, Chair
NYC College of Technology, CUNY
Questions? E-mail: email@example.com
There are no upcoming events at this time
Photos from the 2015 Annual Conference
Secondary Education and Higher Education SIG Salon- Transitions from High School to College
held on April 16, 2014.
NYC Region Salon
March 16, 2014
NYS TESOL Higher Education and Secondary Education Special Interest Group (SIG) Presents:
High School to College Transitions: Sharing Experiences to Find Solutions
Saturday December 7, 2013
High School to College Transitions:
Facing Challenges and Finding Solutions
Saturday, December 8, 2012, 9:30 am - Noon
The New School - NYC
- Voice your concerns and ideas in this combination workshop/focus group session.
- Help set agenda for one-day mini-conference in Spring 2013.
- Download flyer for complete event plan and registration info.
"Bridging the Gap III: A Dialogue between ESL Instructors in Secondary and Higher Education Settings"
Presented in conjunction with NYS TESOL's Regions Committee
Date: Saturday, May 8th, 2010
Time: 10:00 am – 1:30 pm
Location: Pace University, New York City
This mini-conference will explore curriculum issues within secondary school and higher ed composition classes. We aim to create an informal setting within which to exchange knowledge so that secondary education teachers and their counterparts in the college composition classrooms increase their awareness regarding content and expectations within their educational settings. Specifically, we will compare and contrast curriculum content and assignments in order to assist our students to bridge the gap between secondary and college composition expectations.
The conference will consist of presentations by representatives of secondary school and college composition settings, along with time allotted for break-out groups to exchange assignments and engage in smaller discussion forums. Please bring sample student assignments and writing to share with others.
- 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.: Registration
- 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Presentations
- Victoria Pilotti, ESL Teacher, Jamaica High School, Jamaica, NY, will discuss preparing ELLs for the NYS Regents Comprehensive English Examination.
- Tara Vassallo, English Language Institute, Instructor, ESL, Pace University, NY, will discuss writing strategies for international students preparing to enter Pace University.
- Dafna Ben-Anath, ESL Instructor, English Composition, Pace University, New York, NY, will discuss curriculum content, writing assignments and requirements of composition courses.
- 12:00 p.m. – 12:45 p.m.: Small Group Discussions
- 12:45 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.: General Wrap-up Discussion