NYS TESOL Advocacy
NYS TESOL Statement on Education Secretary Betsy DeVos' Proposal to Eliminate the Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA).
As many of you are no doubt aware, there has been an idea proposed by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, to eliminate the Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA).
As VP Advocacy, I want NYS TESOL members to be aware that we have taken the following actions:
Advocacy Committee discussions of new developments as well as the possible implications of this change on NYS TESOL members and others in our field at the state level,
TESOL International Advocacy Summit 2018 discussions with attending members from many states in the US as well as a representative from Puerto Rico,
Individual advocacy meetings where we discussed the concern over eliminating OELA with representatives from the following offices on Capitol Hill:
Congresswoman Carol Meng (D-6th)
Congressman Hakeem Jeffries (D-8th)
Congressman Daniel Donovan (D-11th)
Congressman Adriano Espaillat (D-13th)
Congressman Joseph Crowley (D-14th)
Congressman Jose Serrano (D-15th)
Congressman Sean Maloney (D-18th)
Congresswoman Elise Stefanik (D-21st)
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
Senator Charles Schumer
Please also see the following letter signed by our national level field organizations, including TESOL International:
Also see this link for more information: (news articles)
Please stay tuned as we continue to respond to this proposal.
Curriculum and Standards
Position Statement: Common Core Learning Standards and English Language Learners
The Common Core Learning Standards (CCLS) present a particular challenge for English Language Learners (ELLs) because no provision has been made to address the development of academic language proficiency.
Considering these challenges:
- Educators must be aware that English, the medium of instruction, is a content area in and of itself. The simultaneous acquisition of English and other academic material requires ELLs to do double the work (Short & Fitzsimmons, 2007).
- Expectations of successful mastery of grade-level standards must be aligned with student levels of English language proficiency. Research has shown that a five to seven year period is needed for ELLs to become proficient in academic English. In the case of ELLs without literacy skills or with interrupted education, developing English language proficiency can take as long ten years (Cummins, 1981; Thomas & Collier, 1997, 2001).
- It is important to note that the CCLS states, "the Standards define what all students are expected to know and be able to do, not how teachers should teach" (The Common Core Learning Standards for English Language Arts, p. 6). In order to meet the needs of ELLs in both mainstream and ESOL settings, ongoing, current, research-based professional development must be provided by TESOL professionals. It is critical that all teachers be provided training for scaffolding and differentiating instruction for ELLs.
- School curricula must be developed that are both aligned to the CCLS and differentiated to instruct students at all levels of English language proficiency.
- Professionally prepared and fully certified ESOL teachers at the PreK-12 grade levels must be involved, both directly and in collaboration with classroom and content-area teachers, in planning and providing instruction.
- Mainstream and ESOL teachers must be provided with scheduled time to collaborate and plan lessons employing best practices for teaching ELLs.
- Administrators must support and implement the aforementioned practices in order to create optimal learning environments for ELLs (Boykin & Noguera, 2011).
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) needs to develop and provide both administrators and teachers with clear guidelines based on the above recommendations to ensure that ELLs acquire academic proficiency in English and meet the CCLS.
Adopted by the NYS TESOL Executive Board on June 9, 2012.
Boykin, W. A., & Noguera, P. (2011). Creating the opportunity to learn:Moving from research to practice to close the achievement gap. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
Cummins, J. (1981). Bilingualism and language minority children.Toronto, Ontario: Ontario Institute for Studies in Education.
Short, D., & Fitzsimmons, S. (2007). Double the work: Challenges and solutions to acquiring language and academic literacy for adolescent English language learners—A report to Carnegie Corporation of New York. Washington, DC: Alliance for Excellent Education. Retrieved June 9, 2012 from: http://www.all4ed.org/files/DoubleWork.pdf
Thomas, W. P., & Collier, V.P. (1997). School effectiveness for language minority students. Washington, D.C.: National Clearinghouse for Bilingual Education. Retrieved June 9, 2012 from: http://www.thomasandcollier.com/Downloads/1997_Thomas-Collier97.pdf
Thomas, W. P., & Collier, V. P. (2001). A national study of school effectiveness for language minority students’ long-term academic achievement. Berkeley, CA: The Center for Research on Education, Diversity & Excellence. Retrieved June 9, 2012 from: http://www.crede.uesc.edu/research/llaa/1.1_final.html
ESL Lesson Plans and Teaching Tips
- Power Proofreading
Proofreading Activities - Editing
- Activities for ELL students
- in different languages
- Enchanted Learning
- Dinah Zike's Foldables®, VKV's®, & Equivalency FlipsTM
- Look Cover Write and Check
- ESL Kids Stuff
Activities for learning English. ESL & EFL children's resources for English teachers and parents. Over 1,200 flashcard images, hundreds of worksheets, crafts, games, jobs and lots more.
- ESL Printables
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans, teaching activities, etc.
- Washington State University:Links to Site for ESL Students
More ESL sites
PreK- to 1st grade Learning Activities
- Reading A to Z-Desarrollando la Lectura
Downloadables to help children with reading Imprimibles para ayudar a los ninos con la lectura
Standards Based -K-8 Grade Level Skills Website; Digital Teaching tools for teachers, parents and students. This site provides, ideas, lesson plans and much more.
- AAAKnow.com (Kindergarten- Grade 8)
AAAMath (In English)
AAAMatematicas (in Spanish)
- Math.com - The World of Math Online
Math Support (Grades 6-12)
- Fraction Lessons (Grades 5-12)
Visual Fractions: A tutorial that models fractions with number lines or circles
CoolMath.com: Fraction Lessons
- Percent (Grades 6-12)
Math Goodies: Percent Exercises
- Times Tables Math Game
Big Brainz: "Timez Attack"
Social Studies Resources
Bilingual Learning Resources
- Bienvenidos a Artenautas!
- La Página Web Nacional para la promoción del Arte y la Cultura en los Niños!
- About Reading/ Sobre la Lectura
- How to help your child to be a good reader /Cómo ayudar a su hijo ser un buen lector
- Learning activities in Spanish
- Early childhood resources/ Recursos de ensenaza para ninos de edades 2 al 6
features free fun preschool-k educational early childhood activities,
printable crafts,and other resources for children ages 2 to 6. Primera
Escuela ofrece recursos, actividades y materiales para ninos de edad 2
- For Parents-Para Padres
- Recursos en espanol e ingles. Spanish and English resources
- Interactive reading stories for children
- Learning is fun-Es divertido aprender
al sitio web de Página Junior, la publicación de Internet para niños en
español e inglés. Welcome to the website of Página Junior, the
children's online publication in Spanish and English.
- NYSESLAT Parent Brochures
- These brochures are available in multiple languages
- PBS support for parents/Apoyo para padres
- Pre-literacy skills activities K-1 in English and Spanish
- Reading is Fundamental/ La Lectura es Fundamental
- A bilingual site about reading. Un recurso en dos idiomas sobre la lectura.
- Reading Support and Ideas
- Reading Tips for Parents in 11 Languages
reading tips are designed for parents and is available in
English/Spanish and 9 other languages. Ideas para ayudar a los padres
para mejorar la habilidad de la lectura para sus hijos en 11 idiomas.
- Salón Hogar - Home Room
- interative site for children to learn Spanish.
- Spanish Language Sites for Parents-Paginas en el Internet para Padres
- Stories in Spanish/Cuentos en español
- Super Spanish Websites
- Hundreds of web sites to teach Spanish at all grade levels
Adult ESL Resources
Common Core Learning Standards (CCLS)
CCLS: A Selective Webography compiled by NYS TESOL (revised Feb 2014)